“…I love to think that Melville exists for us thanks to the interest of Socialist Jews in the early part of the 20th century. These Lefty Jews rediscovered Melville, for us, the way Charles Lamb rediscovered Marlowe for the Romantics.” This Adam Wilson/Lorin Stein conversation is fascinating, tremendously entertaining, and involves a herring.
- Alan Sepinwall is spending the summer revisiting the first season of Deadwood.
- Jon Cotner, by comparison, will be leading a series of walks through New York City this summer.
- WORD has a roundup of Twitter reactions to last night’s China Miéville/Lev Grossman extravaganza.
- Time Out NY lists 25 icons of New York City’s jazz scene.
- CVLT Nation profiles artist Brian Montuori. (His band Psychic Limb is also very good, for what it’s worth.)